In the Contrib
is laid out to send both HTML and plain text as a MIME encoded message.
However when mail is received the notification is visible in plain text but not in HTML.
At first I though this was to do wtih the the boundary delimiter between the sections being mismatched.
The use of a lot of dashes makes counting them difficult. I checked with RFC1521
and attemtped to use a prefix like
instead of the loing line of dahses so that the dashes required by the RFC would be clearer.
This was not a fix.
When I look at other HTML+plain-text mail I receive I see that the HTML begins like this:
Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html;
<TITLE>ITtoolbox Blog Alert</TITLE>
I tried putting that in. This was not a fix.
worked in Cairo where the page was rendered and the complete HTML was used in the apropirate MIME section. The mechanism used in Dakar is quite different and I don't understand enough of it to start hacking. I'd hoped a
wrapper would have done the trick but either I've made a gross typo or its the perl code. Or soemthing else.
Can you be specific about what has to be done to fix this please?
I wish I had a clear answer.
The plain text is visible. It seems to be the HTML that is the problem.
I'll continue to experiment
considered an esential component of the TWiki:Codev/TWikiMission
? I'm sure many applicaitons and environments need
I think text only output is not a release blocker. HTML output is a nice to have (but then in valid XHTML with lower case tags.)
I leave this as "Requirement" so that it gest discussed on the release meeting, but I think we should degrading this to "Normal".
I tested this on a few clients, both thick and thin versions (including webmail). No problems encountered - yes, html is often shown as an attachment that needs to be clicked in some cases, but this is configurable client side (i.e. in Thunderbird:
View -> Message Body As -> (Original HTML|Simple HTML|Plain Text).
Re-formatted plaintext mail template as it was unreadable.
Please re-open with specific examples of clients that can't read the sent e-mails in HTML-mode.
Couldn't resist, had to brush this up some more:
- HTML part actually looked undone, added "pre" and "post" text to changes list
- Removing HTML attachment name, preventing "attachment icon" in mail client
- WEBBGCOLOR was not used (always took color from Main web). Changing to neutral blueish #B9DAFF.
- Making table header and table part of the same table.