, I have no idea which of these I really need to set and which can reasonably be left with defaults. It would be helpful if the ones that really need setting were clearly identified.
The noun "TWiki" is often used. However, it isn't clear whether it refers to (a) the TWiki engine (software), (b) the resulting wiki (or web) that is created by the TWiki engine, or (c) the twiki.org site. For example, in TWikiPreferences
, I don't know if I should set WIKIWEBMASTER to my email address or leave it as Peter Thoeny's email address.
The instructions at http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/TWiki/TWikiInstallationGuide
have a link to TWikiPreferences
). After spending an hour or so reading through that TWikiPreferences
document, it suddenly occurred to me that I could probably copy and paste the tail end of that URL onto my TWiki web URL to view my own settings. I tried it and (after adding file extension ".pl" in my case) worked! It would be helpful if TWikiInstallationGuide
could say this.
One general issue is that it is hard to distinguish what is supposed to be my own web from what is default material that comes with TWiki. My new TWiki-driven wiki looks very much like the TWiki site, which is confusing. It would make sense for administrative things to look like the TWiki site, but it would be helpful if the parameters that control the branding on my
wiki were clearly consolidated somewhere, so that I could easily know what to change (perhaps leaving a "Powered by TWiki" or something).
BTW, one time-consuming task in getting twiki running on my hosted site (no root access) was trying to figure out which set of instructions I should follow.
Agreed, someone needs to winnow the duplicates.
This bug item is a bit generic.
- The TWikiPreferences topic no longer has the duplicate webmaster address setting.
- In TWikiPreferences I cannot find any settings that are not somewhat documented. Adding an explanation to all of them in the INSTALL.html will be a total information overflow for the installer. There is a lot of documentation already and adding more will not make it easier. It is more a matter of graduatly improving things all the time. But then the bug items needs to be specific. A complete rewrite of documentation bug item is no better than the generic doc bug item we have.
- TWikiInstallationGuide has been through a major rewrite recently and I believe I addressed most of the confusing references.
- I just make it even more clear that you navigate to your OWN TWiki.
- I disagree that it is confusing that the official site looks like your own. On the contrary it is easier to learn how things can be extended and work when you have a working role model
- Pattern Skin now has a good set of documents on how to tailor the looks and brand the site. Instead of leading people to useless pages with a tagcloud leading to a cloud of smoke, it is better to lead them to the well written Pattern skin customization pages. I do not believe for a minute that a newbie admin reading INSTALL.html will start designing his own skin.
- We are adding more and more specified content to the supplental document for specific types of platforms. And we refer to these from the installation document. We should continue this work but this is not something to keep this bug item open for.
Waiting for release.
- 28 Apr 2007