If a topic is locked by a user not the apache user, then the error message in the browser is useless. This may impact anyone upgrading topics from Cairo.
To reproduce, lock a topic manually:
rcs -l TestTopic.txt
then try to save a new version of the topic in TWiki.
This bug goes further than just the error message.
We simply need a better way to handle locked topics when upgrading from Cairo to Dakar. It should ideally happen seamless.
2nd best is a documented way to unlock all topics as part of an upgrade.
I just got the question again on #twiki. It almost happens daily. This is a major issue for our poor upgrade admins.
a few minutes later
It is in the docs in TWikiUpgradeGuide
. But people do not find it because they do not know the guide is there. We should link to it fro INSTALL.html
I added the ref from INSTALL.html to the upgrade guides. (10139 and 10140). It is not the perfect solution to this problem but at least it make it less likely that people run into it in the first place or have to turn to #twiki for help. Keeping the bug open since the original bug description is still not resolved.
I added an attempt to simply break the lock if it is older than one hour. Since Dakar doesn't hold long term locks, this should be sufficient in all cases.