The installer script for the BlogPlugin
removed read and execute permissions from lib and lib/Twiki, thus completely disabling my TWiki.
Some other directories were also affected and needed to be put right before full functionality was restored.
In addition, new items were installed under an unrecognised numeric uid and gid (36018:360).
And the all the new perl modules were installed without execute permissions.
On which platform are you installing?
Did you use the zip or the tgz archive?
Which unzipping software did you use?
Did you run the installer on the same platform as you unziped the archive
What are the permissions before and after running the
I am not able to reproduce this error on debian/linux for now.
There's no need for the perl modules to be executable. Only cgi scripts
need to be executable.
I have been doing quite a lot of unpacking and installing yesterday and today so I can't remember what I did in each case. I think I used the tgz in every case except one, when I had trouble downloading it and used the zip instead. However I have since had similar permission problems with other archives. I was installing onto Gentoo Linux.
I used midnight commander to open the archives and copy the content across. However the installer obviously downloaded and unpacked its dependencies itself, but some of these still had the same problem.
I had permission problems when I first installed TWiki. On the IRC channel I was advised to chmod +rx everything in my twiki directory. As this sounded a bit drastic I mentioned it in the support request I had open at the time, but no one came up with anything better. And it worked. But that's the reason why most of my perl stuff is flagged executable. I'm doing the same thing now to get round all these permission problems. I try to selectively chown stuff to apache:apache without leaving any massive security holes, but I am not at all confident that I have been successful. For now my TWiki is inaccessible behind a firewall and it is going to stay that way until I can bring some sanity to the permissions. Clearly the TWiki packages, including TWiki itself, have some serious problems to do with permissions and they desperately need sorting out.
As well as installing new files with weird uids/gids, the BlogPlugin
installer (or one of its dependencies) chmodded some of my subdirectories from 755 to 750. I think one of them was lib/TWiki. I can't remember the others.
Oh, I see. Damn. So first, this is not BlogPlugin
related. It is more
related to the BuildContrib
package not changing the user/group once it
downloaded and extracted the files. But it may also be a midnight commander
issue, I guess. My advice for you is to extract tgz and zip archives
using the tar and unzip commandline tools respectively while being logged in as the apache user (e.g. www-data). They will adjust the user/group ownership
and the access rights of the extracted files (e.g www-data:www-data) by
default in such a way that the files are readable by the user that extracted
the archive. Try to omit the automatic download feature of the BuildContrib
by installing all dependencies "depth-first", that is by installing basic
plugins first, moving onwards.
Discarding this report. Please reopen it if you feel so.