Rename/delete topic is a two way step: 1. Check and display backlinks, 2. actual rename.
If checking backlinks for "current web only", step 1 is fast (as expected), but step 2 is as slow as a "check all webs" backlink search.
This is a usability issue for large TWikis (few sec vs. many min).
I'm really unclear as to what this report is saying.
A rename is a three-stage process:
- More topic actions screen
- Generating the list of topic parents is slow (1) in a large web, and really shouldn't be done unless you want to reparent the topic
- Rename screen
- Shows a list of topics linking to the renamed topic, either in all public webs or in the current web
- Assembling this list is slow (2) in the current web, much slower (3) in all public webs
- Rename the topic, processing all the selected referring topics
- This is slow (4) if a large number of topics refer to the renamed topic
Which particular "slow" do you mean to report? (1), (2), (3) or (4)? Or all of them?
Number 3 is slow. About 5 minutes on TWiki.org. It takes about the same time as a search in all webs. That is, it appears that even though I select "check in current web only", number 3 checks in all webs.
I just tried it on t.o:
- Picked a topic at random (it happened to be TWiki:Plugins.WorkflowPlugin)
- Hit "more topic actions"
- Hit "Rename/move topic..., looking for references in Plugins web only"
- Rename screen appear in ~2 seconds
Tried again in a bigger web:
- Went to TWiki:Codev.TransparentAuthentication
- Hit "more topic actions"
- Hit "Rename/move topic..., looking for references in Codev web only"
- Rename screen appear in ~4 seconds
Tried again deleting this time. No difference in speed.
Please can you give the list of actions required to reproduce the behaviour you are seeing? Thx.
I did some timing in Sandbox web, with 10k topics:
- Create a test topic in the Sandbox web
- Click on "more" - 14 sec
- Click on "Rename/move topic..., looking for references in Sandbox web only" - 6 sec
- Click on "Rename/move" button - 15 sec
Now in the Main web, with 26K topics:
- Create a test topic in the Main web
- Click on "more" - 30 sec (start loading) - 60 sec (finish loading)
- Click on "Rename/move topic..., looking for references in Sandbox web only" - 9 sec
- Click on "Rename/move" button - 31 sec
Although now much better than before (many minutes), step number 4 takes too long. It should not take longer than a "search in the current web only".
How many topics did step 3 return? How many did you leave ticked? The speed of the update in step 4 is totally dependent on the number of topics referencing the renamed topic. It involves the update of every topic which refers to the moved topic.
Exactly zero. Topics were Sandbox.RandomTestTopic61985 and Main.RandomTestTopic17254.
As far as I can tell from the code and from experiments, all it does is a search of the current web. If the number of topics returned is zero, it doesn't anything else I can see that might eat time. i.e. if a rename takes that long, then by definition a search of the web for that same string will take almost exactly the same time. My experience on t.o. tends to confirm this theory. Are you seeing something different? (bearing in mind I tend to use t.o. under light load, and you use it under heavy load)
The last times I have renamed a topic on t.o. the WikiWord links pointing to the renamed topic did not change as they should. So something else is goofy round renaming on t.o. Does t.o. still run 4.0.2?
I was about to discard this because of old age but one question...
Is this bug present on the 4.1 beta 3?
No feedback for a loooong time. Discarding.