TWiki 4.0.2 had a nice broder for tables that made cells borders recognizable. The latest PatternSkin shows tables without a border which makes it hard to recognize cell boundaries. Also, the table heading colors and the alternate row colors are too similar and too faint, especially on a laptop screen.
See attached image for illustration
I recommend to revert tables to the 4.0.2 look.
I dare adding this without opening another bug item.
The same problem is also present in print view. Large tables being printed are not easily read because the cells have no borders at all anymore. I do not ask for dominant borders. Just weak borders so you can see the rows and columns.
On the normal view I think the 4.0.2 look was too much borders and contrast. I would like something between 4.0.2 and the current. A good middle ground between the two.
I have changed the colors.
Hmm, I still find the contrast way too weak. In fact on a Sony Vaio laptop screen I can't even tell that there are alternate colors, yet a border; on another LCD screen I can see them, but also there I find the colors and border too faint, with an almost girlish color theme. The table header and alternat table row color is almost the same, shich makes it hard to tell what table headers are. TWiki is a bold project, I really like the 4.0.2 color scheme for tables. Also, we need to make it robust for users that do not have a high contrast screen.
striving for a middle ground. At the same time I do not want to introduce too many colors. The data bg is now the left bar bg.
I will give it one more try.
Revision 11762. Header colors shamelessly ripped from Apple
OK, now I broke the attachment table headers.
Thanks, the latest colors can be seen now on the Vaio.
New issue emerged: Dark table header makes text and links hard to read. See WebSearch
Ah, good catch. An unwanted side effect of unifying colors.
It also seems that the TABLEATTRIBUTES are no longer respected. At least not for the header. It remains white no matter what value I have in headercolor.
This is a TABLEATTRIBUTES example which now gives a poor looking table format.
Set TABLEATTRIBUTES = tableborder="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1" headerbg="#dadada" headercolor="#000000" databg="#eaeaea, #ffffff"
The test in the header is now supposed to be black. The TABLEATTRIBUTES must continue to work for all parameters.
TABLEATTRIBUTES are being respected. But not the header color. This is a limitation of css:
will not override the link color. A solution would be to use
You are the expert on CSS. As long as it works in the end
The header color is part of TABLEATTRIBUTES and must also work.
You are right: more attributes are failing. Working on it.
Should be better now. All attributes work now, except for
Do not see that anyone is waiting for feedback. Just for the last two attributes to work. Has this been fixed now? Setting to actioning since I assume Arthur is actioning this.
was never supported properly, because it requires additional table markup that TablePlugin does not write.
<table border=5 rules=groups>
<tr> <th>One</th> <th>Two</th> <th>Three</th> <th>Tour</th></tr>
<tr> <td>1</td> <td>abc</td> <td>vwx</td> <td>01 Jan 1900</td> </tr>
<tr> <td>2</td> <td>def</td> <td>stu</td> <td>31 Dec 1999</td> </tr>
<tr> <td>3</td> <td>ghi</td> <td>pqr</td> <td>15 Jan 2006</td> </tr>
|One ||Two ||Three ||Tour|
|1 ||abc ||vwx ||01 Jan 1900 |
|2 ||def ||stu ||31 Dec 1999 |
|3 ||ghi ||pqr ||15 Jan 2006 |
Or by using
<TABLE BORDER=1 CELLPADDING=4 RULES=GROUPS FRAME=BOX>
<TR> <TH>Weekday</TH> <TH>Date</TH> <TH>Manager</TH> <TH>Qty</TH> </TR>
<TR> <TD>Monday</TD> <TD>09/11</TD> <TD>Kelsey</TD> <TD>639</TD> </TR>
<TR> <TD>Tuesday</TD> <TD>09/12</TD> <TD>Lindsey</TD> <TD>596</TD> </TR>
<TR> <TD>Wednesday</TD> <TD>09/13</TD> <TD>Randy</TD> <TD>1135</TD> </TR>
<TR> <TD>Thursday</TD> <TD>09/14</TD> <TD>Susan</TD> <TD>1002</TD> </TR>
<TR> <TD>Friday</TD> <TD>09/15</TD> <TD>Randy</TD> <TD>908</TD> </TR>
<TR> <TD>Saturday</TD> <TD>09/16</TD> <TD>Lindsey</TD> <TD>371</TD> </TR>
<TR> <TD>Sunday</TD> <TD>09/17</TD> <TD>Susan</TD> <TD>272</TD> </TR>
|Weekday ||Date ||Manager ||Qty |
|Monday ||09/11 ||Kelsey ||639 |
|Tuesday ||09/12 ||Lindsey ||596 |
|Wednesday ||09/13 ||Randy ||1135 |
|Thursday ||09/14 ||Susan ||1002 |
|Friday ||09/15 ||Randy ||908 |
|Saturday ||09/16 ||Lindsey ||371 |
|Sunday ||09/17 ||Susan ||272 |
(examples from http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/tables/_TABLE_RULES_GROUPS.html
I've made a couple of changes so that
are implicitly recognized as groups.
Marking this as "waiting for release".
Updated the headline for release note. Besides fixing a post 4.0.5 introduced problem some of the checkins also covers improvements from 4.0.5 till 4.1.0. Headline reflects this now.