A co-worker asked me how to doo itallics insiide a TWiki table cell. We're using standard TWiki table format in an Editable Table with EDITTABLE.
Her cell contained
_ProdOps Request Fulfillment_
The first italicized word worked.
The second italicized phrase did not.
Thaty is, single words were italicized; multiple words with spaces were not.
- 12 Apr 2007
Here's a table containing Vicki's cell, with an appropriate %EDITTABLE:
So, AFAICT it works fine in the current code. Further, editing the table shows up no other issues.
Bouncing back to the reporter for clarification of what the problem is, and a testcase.
Probably this will show up as
when viewed in raw mode. To make the TML italics work a space in front of the | is needed. Maybe some versions of the plugin doesn't automatically insert this?
Vicki, please paste a bit more of the topic (i.e. the whole table) as seen in raw mode.
- 13 Apr 2007
Vicki, any update? If we don't hear from you before 12 May we will discard this....
- 02 May 2007
Vicki obviously never came back to see of the bug was followed up on.
But the bug is real. I just guess we did not originally notice that the report had a newline in the cell content.
Look at this
This is the table you get when you enter multiple lines in EditTablePlugin
. The plugin adds the %BR% between each line.
The %BR% prevents the renderer from seeing the text that follows as TML. Also URLs fail to render. I fight with the latter all the time. The work around is to add a space before the following lines when you enter them in the Edit mode. But a nice work around and we should find a fix for this.
This is not an EditTablePlugin
problem only. Even with simple bullet points we have same problem.
So it is the use of
we should attack instead of hacking the plugin.
The quick and dirty fix is to change the definition of %BR% to contain a trailing space.
It seems to fix things and after having tested around on my test server for half an hour I have not yet seen any negative effect of this.
HTML does not care about trailing spaces and the space is added between the <br /> and the \n where it does no harm. But for the Twiki renderer there is a space between the <br /> and whatever follows. I cannot imagine anyone counting on a %BR% preventing linking. On the contrary it has probably been an irritation having to add a space. And for anyone already adding a space this is also safe in HTML since multiple whitespace is turned into a single space.
I will try and do the change on my code base and run the unit tests now.
Scream if anyone sees a problem.
If I end up adding this I will put a comment in TWikiPreferences
before the setting that there is an intentional trailing space.
- 27 May 2007
Unit test cases seems to pass with the same failure as without this change. It is difficult to be sure because currently running the test cases produce kilobytes of other errors. So I cannot guarantee that there has not sneaked in an additional failure. But the number is unchanged and their nature seems to be not at all related to this. Pain that we have to suffer so many failing unit test cases.
It cost so much extra time for us that do care to check before we check in.
- 27 May 2007
Cleaned "WaitingFor" field.
- 10 Aug 2008